UCL Discovery
UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

Modelling distributed lag effects in epidemiological time series studies

Maddison, D.; (2001) Modelling distributed lag effects in epidemiological time series studies. (CSERGE Working Papers ). Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment (CSERGE): London, UK. Green open access

[thumbnail of 17584.pdf]

Download (174kB)


The paper argues that much of the existing literature on air pollution and mortality deals only with the transient effects of air pollution. Policy, on the other hand, needs to know when, whether and to what extent pollution-induced increases in mortality are reversed. This involves modelling the entire distributed lag effects of air pollution. Borrowing from econometrics this paper presents a method by which distributed lag effects can be estimated parsimoniously but plausibly estimated. The paper presents a time series study into the relationship between ambient levels of air pollution and daily mortality counts for Manchester employing this technique. Black Smoke is shown to have a highly significant effect on mortality counts in the short term. Nevertheless we find that 80 percent of the deaths attributable to BS would have occurred anyway within one week whereas the remaining 20 percent of individuals would otherwise have enjoyed a normal life expectancy.

Type: Working / discussion paper
Title: Modelling distributed lag effects in epidemiological time series studies
Open access status: An open access version is available from UCL Discovery
Publisher version: http://www.cserge.ucl.ac.uk/publications.html
Language: English
Keywords: Air pollution and mortality, time-series analysis and distributed lags
UCL classification: UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > UCL SLASH > Faculty of S&HS > Dept of Economics
URI: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/17584
Downloads since deposit
Download activity - last month
Download activity - last 12 months
Downloads by country - last 12 months

Archive Staff Only

View Item View Item