UCL Discovery
UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

A stated preference model to value reductions in community severance

Anciaes, PR; Jones, P; Orr, S; Sheldon, R; Lawrence, A; Metcalfe, PJ; (2016) A stated preference model to value reductions in community severance. In: World Conference on Transport Research, , (ed.) (Proceedings) World Conference on Transport Research 2016. World Conference on Transport Research: Shanghai, China. Green open access

[img]
Preview
Text (Conference paper)
Anciaes_et al 2016 A stated preference model to value reductions in community severance.pdf

Download (521kB) | Preview
[img]
Preview
Text (PowerPoint presentation)
Anciaes_et al 2016 A stated preference model to value reductions in community severance %255Bpresentation%255DRedacted.pdf

Download (3MB) | Preview

Abstract

This paper presents the results of a stated preference survey to assess the value of reductions in community severance (the “barrier effect” of transport infrastructure on the mobility of pedestrians). In a first exercise, participants chose between crossing a road in a place without designated facilities or walking additional minutes to a place where the road is covered over. Half of the participants never chose to cross, regardless of the road design, traffic characteristics, and length of the detour. On average, the other half would only cross the road, if the detour was at least 7.5 minutes, or higher, if the road had extra traffic lanes, no central reservation, and high traffic density. In a second exercise, participants were asked if they would cross the road if they could save money by using a shop or a bus stop on the other side of the road, instead of one on their side of the road. 38% never chose to cross. The cost saving for which the other 62% would cross depends on the scenario, especially regarding traffic volume. On average, participants would only cross a road with high traffic volume if the saving was £2.8. Overall, the study suggests that many people are not willing to trade-off pedestrian safety with shorter walking times or cost savings. People who are willing to trade-off attach greater importance to some aspects (like traffic density) than others (like traffic speed).

Type: Proceedings paper
Title: A stated preference model to value reductions in community severance
Event: World Conference on Transport Research 2016
Location: Shanghai, China
Dates: 10 July 2016 - 15 July 2016
Open access status: An open access version is available from UCL Discovery
Publisher version: https://wctrs.conference-services.net/reports/temp...
Language: English
Additional information: This version is the author accepted manuscript. For information on re-use, please refer to the publisher’s terms and conditions.
Keywords: Community severance, barrier effect, pedestrians, stated preference
UCL classification: UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > UCL BEAMS
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > UCL BEAMS > Faculty of Engineering Science
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > UCL BEAMS > Faculty of Engineering Science > Dept of Civil, Environ and Geomatic Eng
URI: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/1506346
Downloads since deposit
46Downloads
Download activity - last month
Download activity - last 12 months
Downloads by country - last 12 months

Archive Staff Only

View Item View Item