UCL Discovery
UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

How do pedestrians balance safety, walking time, and the utility of crossing the road? A stated preference study

Anciaes, PR; Jones, P; (2016) How do pedestrians balance safety, walking time, and the utility of crossing the road? A stated preference study. (Street Mobility and Network Accessibility Working Papers 08). University College London (UCL): London, UK. Green open access

[img]
Preview
Text
Anciaes_ucl_streetmobility_paper08.pdf

Download (631kB) | Preview

Abstract

This paper presents the results of a stated preference survey to estimate the value of reductions in community severance (the “barrier effect” of transport infrastructure on the mobility of pedestrians). In a first exercise, participants chose between crossing a road in a place without designated facilities or walking additional minutes to a place where the road is covered over. Half of the participants never chose to cross, regardless of the road design, traffic characteristics, and length of the detour. On average, the other half would only cross the road if the detour was at least 7.9 minutes (or longer, if the road had extra traffic lanes, no central reservation, or high traffic density). In a second exercise, participants were asked whether they would cross the road to access a cheaper shop or a bus stop on the other side of the road, instead of a more expensive one on their side of the road. 38% never chose to cross. The other 62% would only cross a road with high traffic density if the saving was at least £2.8, but would cross roads with other characteristics for smaller savings. Overall, the study suggests that many people are not willing to trade-off pedestrian safety with shorter walking times or cost savings. People who are willing to trade-off tend to attach greater importance to traffic density, comparing with aspects such as road design and traffic speed.

Type: Working / discussion paper
Title: How do pedestrians balance safety, walking time, and the utility of crossing the road? A stated preference study
Open access status: An open access version is available from UCL Discovery
Publisher version: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/street-mobility/docs/ucl_str...
Language: English
UCL classification: UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > UCL BEAMS
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > UCL BEAMS > Faculty of Engineering Science
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > UCL BEAMS > Faculty of Engineering Science > Dept of Civil, Environ and Geomatic Eng
URI: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/1505652
Downloads since deposit
86Downloads
Download activity - last month
Download activity - last 12 months
Downloads by country - last 12 months

Archive Staff Only

View Item View Item