UCL Discovery
UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

Technologies for the diagnosis of angle closure glaucoma (ACE): protocol of a prospective, multicentre, cross-sectional diagnostic study

Azuara-Blanco, Augusto; Lawrenson, John G; King, Anthony J; Foster, Paul J; Virgili, Gianni; Guiney, Mary; Nolan, Winnie; ... Clarke, Mike; + view all (2023) Technologies for the diagnosis of angle closure glaucoma (ACE): protocol of a prospective, multicentre, cross-sectional diagnostic study. BMJ Open , 13 (10) , Article e073975. 10.1136/bmjopen-2023-073975. Green open access

[thumbnail of e073975.full.pdf]
Preview
PDF
e073975.full.pdf - Published Version

Download (631kB) | Preview

Abstract

INTRODUCTION: Angle-closure is responsible for half of all glaucoma blindness globally. Patients with suspected glaucoma require assessment of the drainage angle by an experienced clinician. The goal of this study is to evaluate the diagnostic performance and cost-effectiveness of two non-contact tests, anterior segment OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography) (AS-OCT) and limbal anterior chamber depth for patients referred to hospital with suspected angle closure compared with gonioscopy by ophthalmologist. METHODS AND ANALYSIS: Study design: prospective, multicentre, cross-sectional diagnostic accuracy study. INCLUSION CRITERIA: adults referred from community optometry to hospital with suspected angle closure. PRIMARY OUTCOME: Sensitivity and specificity. SECONDARY OUTCOMES: Positive/negative likelihood ratios, concordance, cost-effectiveness, proportion of patients requiring subsequent clinical assessment by ophthalmologist. SAMPLE SIZE: 600 individuals who have been referred with suspected angle closure from primary care (community optometry). We will have a 95% probability of detecting the true sensitivity of either test to within ±3.5% based on a sensitivity of 90%. The study would also have a 95% probability of detecting the true specificity of either test to within ±5%, assuming a specificity of 75%. ETHICS AND DISSEMINATION: Ethical Review Board approval was obtained. REC reference: 22/LO/0885. Our findings will be disseminated to those involved in eye care services. We will have a knowledge exchange event at the end of the study, published via the Health Technology Assessment web page and in specialist journals. The results will be presented at professional conferences and directly to patients via patient group meetings and the Glaucoma UK charity. TRIAL REGISTRATION NUMBER: ISRCTN15115867.

Type: Article
Title: Technologies for the diagnosis of angle closure glaucoma (ACE): protocol of a prospective, multicentre, cross-sectional diagnostic study
Location: England
Open access status: An open access version is available from UCL Discovery
DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2023-073975
Publisher version: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2023-073975
Language: English
Additional information: © 2023 BMJ Publishing Group Ltd. This is an open access article distributed in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Unported (CC BY 4.0) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Keywords: clinical trial, diagnostic imaging, glaucoma, ophthalmology
UCL classification: UCL
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Brain Sciences
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Brain Sciences > Institute of Ophthalmology
URI: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10179088
Downloads since deposit
5Downloads
Download activity - last month
Download activity - last 12 months
Downloads by country - last 12 months

Archive Staff Only

View Item View Item