UCL Discovery
UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

Can I go home now? The safety and efficacy of a new UK paediatric febrile neutropenia protocol for risk-stratified early discharge on oral antibiotics

Jackson, Thomas John; Napper, Rachel; Haeusler, Gabrielle M; Pizer, Barry; Bate, Jessica; Grundy, Richard G; Samarasinghe, Sujith; ... Morgan, Jessica Elizabeth; + view all (2022) Can I go home now? The safety and efficacy of a new UK paediatric febrile neutropenia protocol for risk-stratified early discharge on oral antibiotics. Archives of Disease in Childhood , 108 (3) pp. 192-197. 10.1136/archdischild-2021-323254. Green open access

[thumbnail of 192.full.pdf]
Preview
Text
192.full.pdf - Published Version

Download (1MB) | Preview

Abstract

Objective: To evaluate a new protocol of risk stratification and early discharge for children with febrile neutropenia (FN). Design Prospective service evaluation from 17 April 2020 to 16 April 2021. Setting 13 specialist centres in the UK. Patients 405 children presenting with FN. Intervention All children received intravenous antibiotics at presentation. Risk stratification was determined using the Australian-UK-Swiss (AUS) rule and eligibility for homecare assessed using criteria including disease, chemotherapy, presenting features and social factors. Those eligible for homecare could be discharged on oral antibiotics after a period of observation proportional to their risk group. Main outcome measures Median duration of admission and of intravenous antibiotics, and percentage of patients with positive blood cultures, significant infection, readmission within 7 days of initial presentation, intensive care unit (ICU) admission, death from infection and death from other causes. Results: 13 centres contributed 729 initial presentations of 405 patients. AUS rule scores were positively correlated with positive blood cultures, significant infection, ICU admission and death. 20% of children were eligible for homecare with oral antibiotics, of which 55% were low risk (AUS 0-1). 46% low-risk homecare eligible patients were discharged by 24 hours vs 2% homecare ineligible. Homecare readmission rates were 14% overall and 16% for low-risk cases (similar to a meta-analysis of previous studies). No child eligible for homecare was admitted to ICU or died. Conclusions: Use of the AUS rule and homecare criteria allow for safe early outpatient management of children with FN.

Type: Article
Title: Can I go home now? The safety and efficacy of a new UK paediatric febrile neutropenia protocol for risk-stratified early discharge on oral antibiotics
Location: England
Open access status: An open access version is available from UCL Discovery
DOI: 10.1136/archdischild-2021-323254
Publisher version: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2021-323254
Language: English
Additional information: © Author(s) (or their employer(s)) 2023. Re-use permitted under CC BY-NC. No commercial re-use. See rights and permissions. Published by BMJ. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ This is an open access article distributed in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC BY-NC 4.0) license, which permits others to distribute, remix, adapt, build upon this work non-commercially, and license their derivative works on different terms, provided the original work is properly cited, appropriate credit is given, any changes made indicated, and the use is non-commercial. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/.
Keywords: Science & Technology, Life Sciences & Biomedicine, Pediatrics, infectious disease medicine, paediatrics, CHILDREN
UCL classification: UCL
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Population Health Sciences > UCL GOS Institute of Child Health
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Population Health Sciences > UCL GOS Institute of Child Health > Developmental Biology and Cancer Dept
URI: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10166843
Downloads since deposit
15Downloads
Download activity - last month
Download activity - last 12 months
Downloads by country - last 12 months

Archive Staff Only

View Item View Item