UCL Discovery
UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

Rates of global and regional cerebral atrophy in AD and frontotemporal dementia

Chan, D; Fox, NC; Jenkins, R; Scahill, RI; Crum, WR; Rossor, MN; (2001) Rates of global and regional cerebral atrophy in AD and frontotemporal dementia. Neurology , 57 (10) pp. 1756-1763. 10.1212/WNL.57.10.1756.

[thumbnail of 1756.full.pdf] Text
1756.full.pdf - Published version
Access restricted to UCL open access staff

Download (937kB)

Abstract

Objective: Serial registered MRI provides a reproducible technique for detecting progressive cerebral atrophy in vivo and was used to determine if there were differences between the rates of cerebral atrophy in AD and frontotemporal dementia (FTD). Methods: Eighty-four patients with dementia (54 AD and 30 FTD) and 27 age-matched control subjects each had at least two volumetric MR scans. Serial scans were positionally matched (registered), and brain volume loss was determined by calculation of the brain boundary shift integral. Results: There was a difference between the rates of whole-brain atrophy in patients (mean annual volume loss 2.7% of total brain volume) and in control subjects (mean annual volume loss 0.5%). AD and FTD were associated with different rates of atrophy (mean annual losses 2.4 and 3.2%). The range of atrophy rates in the FTD group (0.3 to 8.0%) greatly exceeded that in the AD group (0.5 to 4.7%). Frontal-variant FTD was associated with a wider range of atrophy rates than temporal-variant FTD. Analysis of regional brain atrophy rates revealed that there was widespread symmetrically distributed cerebral volume loss in AD, whereas in frontal FTD there was greater atrophy anteriorly and in temporal FTD the atrophy rate was greatest in the left anterior cerebral cortex. Conclusions: Both AD and FTD patients had increased rates of brain atrophy. Whereas the patients with AD were associated with a relatively restricted spread of atrophy rates, the greater spread of rates observed in the patients with FTD may reflect the heterogeneity of disease in FTD, with differences observed between frontal and temporal FTD. Increased rates of whole-brain atrophy did not discriminate AD from FTD, but analysis of regional atrophy rates revealed marked differences between patient groups.

Type: Article
Title: Rates of global and regional cerebral atrophy in AD and frontotemporal dementia
DOI: 10.1212/WNL.57.10.1756
Language: English
Additional information: This version is the version of record. For information on re-use, please refer to the publisher’s terms and conditions.
Keywords: Science & Technology, Life Sciences & Biomedicine, Clinical Neurology, Neurosciences & Neurology, FRONTAL-LOBE DEGENERATION, ALZHEIMERS-DISEASE, ENTORHINAL CORTEX, BRAIN ATROPHY, MRI, HIPPOCAMPAL, DIAGNOSIS, VOLUMES, QUANTIFICATION, SCANS
UCL classification: UCL
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Brain Sciences
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Brain Sciences > Div of Psychology and Lang Sciences
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Brain Sciences > Div of Psychology and Lang Sciences > Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Brain Sciences > UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Brain Sciences > UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology > Neurodegenerative Diseases
URI: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10124905
Downloads since deposit
1Download
Download activity - last month
Download activity - last 12 months
Downloads by country - last 12 months

Archive Staff Only

View Item View Item