UCL Discovery
UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

Information needs of qualified nurses in Bloomsbury Health Authority

Williamson, Jane; (1990) Information needs of qualified nurses in Bloomsbury Health Authority. Masters thesis (M.Phil), UCL (University College London). Green open access

[thumbnail of Information_needs_of_qualified.pdf]
Preview
Text
Information_needs_of_qualified.pdf

Download (5MB) | Preview

Abstract

The study is concerned with the information needs of qualified nursing staff in Bloomsbury Health Authority. A stratified sample of 20% was drawn from the total population (thought to be about 2100) and data was gathered by mailed questionnaire and personal interview. Using the critical incident technique, questions focused on the most recent example of information need. Data was gathered on: when information was last needed; what information was needed and for what purpose; attempts to satisfy the information need and the level of success achieved; the frequency of unresolved information needs and the reasons for this. Results are presented for the sample as a whole and by individual subgroups;- Enrolled Nurses; Staff Nurses; Ward Sisters/Charge Nurses; Midwives; Managers; Teachers; District Nurses; and Health Promotion staff (Health Visitors and School Nurses). 55% of respondents reported having an information need in the previous 7 days, 41% reported having had such a need within the previous 30 days or more. Twenty-one areas of information need were identified with medical/surgical, clinical nursing or drug information accounting for 46% of these. 36% of information was needed in order to resolve a clinical nursing problem and 24% was needed to resolve a teaching problem (either patient or nurse education). Print sources combined accounted for 53% of all sources used, with all Interpersonal sources accounting for the remaining 47% of sources used. Development of a library computer network linked to each nursing workstation is recommended to overcome problems of time and isolation, giving access to both printed information sources and via electronic mail to colleagues outside the place of work. In the shorter term, an enhanced programme of library promotion and user education is recommended. Promotion of the telephone enquiry service is advised and a suggested breakdown of bookstock expenditure is given.

Type: Thesis (Masters)
Qualification: M.Phil
Title: Information needs of qualified nurses in Bloomsbury Health Authority
Open access status: An open access version is available from UCL Discovery
Language: English
Additional information: Thesis digitised by ProQuest.
Keywords: Communication and the arts; Health and environmental sciences
URI: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10122852
Downloads since deposit
27Downloads
Download activity - last month
Download activity - last 12 months
Downloads by country - last 12 months

Archive Staff Only

View Item View Item