UCL logo

UCL Discovery

UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

Bleeding from staple line erosion after esophageal transection: effect of omeprazole.

Kaye, GL; McCormick, PA; Siringo, S; Hobbs, KE; McIntyre, N; Burroughs, AK; (1992) Bleeding from staple line erosion after esophageal transection: effect of omeprazole. Hepatology , 15 (6) pp. 1031-1035.

Full text not available from this repository.


Esophageal staple transection effectively controls acute variceal bleeding, but up to 50% of these patients will have recurrent upper gastrointestinal bleeding. In our experience, most of these bleeding episodes are caused by total or partial circumferential ulceration at the level of the staple transection: staple line erosion. It caused rebleeding in 29 (40%) of our patients. Whereas the pathogenesis of this lesion is unknown, acid reflux is a consequence of transection surgery. Assuming that staple line erosion could be healed by acid suppression therapy, thereby preventing recurrent bleeding, an acid suppression regimen was evaluated prospectively in 24 patients. Only six (25%) healed with daily standard (300 mg) or high-dose (1,200 mg) ranitidine combined with sucralfate (4 gm). The remaining 18 (75%) healed after omeprazole administration (40 mg/day) for 1 mo. Maintenance ranitidine alone (300 mg/day) was introduced, but 11 (48%) had relapse of erosions. All 11 healed with omeprazole (40 mg/day) for 2 mo, but again on maintenance ranitidine, 10 relapsed. All healed with further omeprazole and healing persisted with long-term administration (20 mg/day). Fifteen rebleeding episodes occurred in eight patients on maintenance ranitidine. Whereas relapse of staple line erosions did occur in the absence of rebleeding, all rebleeding episodes were associated with the relapse of staple line erosion. Omeprazole is more effective than ranitidine alone and combined with sucralfate in healing staple line erosion. Omeprazole prevents rebleeding, which may enhance the long-term benefits of staple transection for acute variceal bleeding.

Type: Article
Title: Bleeding from staple line erosion after esophageal transection: effect of omeprazole.
Location: United States
Keywords: Adult, Aged, Depression, Chemical, Drug Evaluation, Esophageal and Gastric Varices, Esophagus, Female, Gastric Acid, Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage, Humans, Liver Cirrhosis, Male, Middle Aged, Omeprazole, Prospective Studies, Recurrence, Surgical Staplers, Surgical Wound Dehiscence, Wound Healing
UCL classification: UCL > School of Life and Medical Sciences
UCL > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Medical Sciences
URI: http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/493682
Downloads since deposit
Download activity - last month
Download activity - last 12 months
Downloads by country - last 12 months

Archive Staff Only

View Item View Item