UCL logo

UCL Discovery

UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

Elastic scattering spectroscopy for the diagnosis of colonic lesions: initial results of a novel optical biopsy technique

Dhar, A; Johnson, KS; Novelli, MR; Bown, SG; Bigio, IJ; Lovat, LB; Bloom, SL; (2006) Elastic scattering spectroscopy for the diagnosis of colonic lesions: initial results of a novel optical biopsy technique. GASTROINTEST ENDOSC , 63 (2) 257 - 261. 10.1016/j.gie.2005.07.026.

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

Background: Biopsy and polypectomy frequently are performed for lesions that carry a low risk of malignant transformation in the colon. Elastic scattering spectroscopy (ESS) is a novel optical biopsy technique that can distinguish, almost instantaneously, between normal and abnormal tissue in Vivo, without the need to remove tissue. We assessed the diagnostic potential of ESS in the colon to differentiate normal Colonic mucosa, chronic colitis, hyperplastic polyps, adenomatous polyps (with dysplasia), and adenocarcinoma.Methods: ESS spectra were obtained from 138 sites in 45 patients at colonoscopy. They were then compared with conventional biopsy specimens taken from the same site, including normal colonic mucosa, hyperplastic polyps, adenomatous polyps, chronic colitis, and colon cancer. Spectral analysis was carried Out with a validated computerized model that used principal component analysis followed by linear discriminant analysis. Cross validation was carried out by using 60% of the data as a "training set" and the remaining 40% of the data as a "test set."Results: A total of 483 spectra were analyzed (290 normal, 19 hyperplastic, 69 adenomatous polyps, 74 chronic colitis, and 31 colorectal cancer). The sensitivity and the specificity of differentiating adenomas from hyperplastic polyps was 84% and 84%, respectively; for cancer from adenomatous polyps, 80% and 75%, respectively; for colitis from normal tissue, 77% and 82%, respectively; and for dysplastic mucosa (from polyps) from colitis, 85% and 88%, respectively.Conclusions: ESS holds promise for differentiating colonic lesions with good accuracy and, therefore, is a potentially useful tool to make an instantaneous diagnosis during colonoscopy. It could prove a valuable aid for targeting biopsies in dysplasia surveillance in inflammatory bowel disease and for deciding which small polyps should be removed.

Type: Article
Title: Elastic scattering spectroscopy for the diagnosis of colonic lesions: initial results of a novel optical biopsy technique
DOI: 10.1016/j.gie.2005.07.026
Keywords: LASER-INDUCED FLUORESCENCE, LIGHT-SCATTERING, BARRETTS-ESOPHAGUS, ENDOSCOPIC DETECTION, POLARIZED-LIGHT, CANCER, DYSPLASIA, COLONOSCOPY, NEOPLASIA, POLYPS
UCL classification: UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Medical Sciences
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Medical Sciences > Cancer Institute
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Medical Sciences > Cancer Institute > Research Department of Pathology
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Medical Sciences > Div of Medicine
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Medical Sciences > Div of Surgery and Interventional Sci
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Medical Sciences > Div of Surgery and Interventional Sci > Department of Surgical Biotechnology
UCL > Provost and Vice Provost Offices > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Medical Sciences > Div of Surgery and Interventional Sci > Department of Targeted Intervention
URI: http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/177944
Downloads since deposit
0Downloads
Download activity - last month
Download activity - last 12 months
Downloads by country - last 12 months

Archive Staff Only

View Item View Item