UCL logo

UCL Discovery

UCL home » Library Services » Electronic resources » UCL Discovery

Visuospatial and technical ability in the selection and assessment or higher surgical trainees in the London deanery

Tansley, P; Kakar, S; Withey, S; Butler, P; (2007) Visuospatial and technical ability in the selection and assessment or higher surgical trainees in the London deanery. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England , 89 (6) 593 - 597.

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

Introduction Despite awareness of the limitations of current selection and competency assessments, there is little consensus and alternatives have not been readily accepted. Essential surgical skills include visuospatial and technical ability. The aim of this study was to survey current methods of higher surgical trainee selection and assessment. We suggest ways to improve the process. Material and methods Nine surgical training programmes in the London deanery were surveyed through questionnaires to programme directors, existing trainees and examination of deanery publications. Results Testing of visuospatial and technical ability was piloted at selection only in a single general surgical department. Practical skills were assessed in 3/9 (33%) specialties (ENT, plastic and general surgery). Once selected, no specialty tested visuospatial and technical ability. Practical skills were tested in only 1/9 (11%) specialties (plastic surgery). The remaining 8/9 (89%) were 'assessed' by interview. Conclusions Lack of visuospatial and technical ability assessment was identified at selection and during higher surgical training. Airlines have long recognised early identification of these qualities as critical for efficient training. There is a need for more objective methods in this area prior to selection as time to assess surgical trainees during long apprenticeships is no longer available, We advocate a suitably validated competency-based model during and at completion of training

Type:Article
Title:Visuospatial and technical ability in the selection and assessment or higher surgical trainees in the London deanery
Additional information:WoS ID: 000250268700007 Times Cited: 0ArticleEnglishTansley, PRoyal Free Hosp, Dept Plast & Reconstruct Surg, Pond St, London NW3 2QG, EnglandCited References Count: 47222AO35-43 LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS, LONDON WC2A 3PN, ENGLANDLONDON
Keywords:visuospatial, training, assessment, competence, OBJECTIVE STRUCTURED ASSESSMENT, GENERAL-SURGERY RESIDENTS, VIRTUAL-REALITY, PSYCHOMOTOR-SKILLS, OPERATIVE SKILL, PERFORMANCE, SIMULATION, TIME, AVIATION
UCL classification:UCL > School of Life and Medical Sciences > Faculty of Medical Sciences > Surgery and Interventional Science (Division of)

Archive Staff Only: edit this record