HARRIS, O; (2010) “Une tresriche sepulture”: the tomb and chantry of John of Gaunt and Blanche of Lancaster in Old St Paul’s Cathedral, London. Church Monuments , 25 7 - 35.
Full text not available from this repository.
This paper examines the history and design of the lost tomb and chantry chapel of John of Gaunt (d. 1399) and his first wife Blanche of Lancaster (d. 1368) in St Paul’s Cathedral, London. The tomb was erected between 1374 and 1380 to the designs of Henry Yevele, and the separate chapel added between 1399 and 1403. Both were destroyed in or shortly before 1666, but they are documented in records relating to their commissioning, construction and devotional setting, and in a succession of antiquarian notices of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. A feature of the two effigies was that they were portrayed joining hands: an appendix considers the monument’s place in the dissemination of this pose and theories of its meaning.
|Title:||“Une tresriche sepulture”: the tomb and chantry of John of Gaunt and Blanche of Lancaster in Old St Paul’s Cathedral, London|
|UCL classification:||UCL > School of Arts and Social Sciences > Faculty of Laws|
Archive Staff Only: edit this record